In the last two years, we have expanded our programming from Somalia to Kenya and South Sudan. We have also returned to South Central Somalia to assist with the response to the 2011 famine. Our work is needed more than ever, and in more places than ever. So too are funds. Any funds donated to Adeso will support our work across our four program areas and help improve the lives of many thousands of people.
How you can help:
Emergency aid is often needed to save lives and protect livelihoods. In South Sudan, for example, a February 2012 report by the World Food Program (WFP) and the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) shows that 4.7 million people will be food-insecure this year, up 1.4 million from last year. The number of severely food-insecure people will hit almost one million.
In the Northern parts of Kenya, improvements in food security following the shorts rains from October to December 2012 are starting to slow, and crisis levels of food insecurity in pastoral areas are likely to continue.
In Somalia, despite improvements in recent months, 2.51 million people remain in crisis, and the situation could deteriorate in the coming months if current levels of support are not sustained. In the South and Central regions, 1.7 million people are still in need of food, clean water, shelter, and other assistance. The focus now should be not only on meeting basic needs, but also on building people’s ability to cope better with future shocks. The needs of those living in East Africa are vast, and a widespread response is needed.
Concerned about where your money will go? 90 per cent of all Adeso donations go directly to our programs, while the remaining 10 per cent provides support.
You do not need a Paypal account to pay online; you can use your debit or credit card.
As part of the response to the current crises in the region, we have been helping the most vulnerable households access their essential food and non-food needs. In total, our response in Kenya, South Central Somalia and South Sudan is targeting over 33,000 households – or almost 250,000 people. When we include our programs in Northern Somalia, we are aiming to reach over 500,000 people.
Our programs involve a combination of unconditional cash grants, Cash for Work projects, livelihood support grants, trainings, and water supply activities paired with hygiene and sanitation trainings.
Emergency aid is needed now to save lives and protect livelihoods. Please consider helping by donating to Adeso.